2.27.2006

Brooklyn Machine Works

I admit that I laughed the first time I saw a Brooklyn bike. It was the SuperTrucker show bike of 1998. I have more respect for them now, but I still can't figure out how you ride these things. I can't figure why they need to be so big and heavy. Most of the World Cup stars seem to go pretty fast on BoXXers and XVert Carbons. I doubt the frighteningly massive Avalanche fork has ever won a WC DH race.


TMX -
According to their website, English riders like to set up the TMX with a BoXXer or other lighter DH fork, and end up with a 45-55 lb fun bike, as opposed to, say, the 70 lb "Rubber Duck."


Parkbike
- This is pretty much a 26" wheel BMX bike with a Marzocchi on it. This type of dirt-jumping bike is very popular in England, but I don't know how big it is here.


Supertrucker
- This is the bike that put BMW in the spotlight. Over 9 inches of rear wheel travel, overbuilt to a frightening degree, and just plain huge. I can't imagine what it's like riding a bike that weighs more than twice what mine does, but I'd sure like to try.

No comments: